My Labour Story

Please follow and like us:

By Ann

Read about Ann’s labour experience

My baby was due to come out actually late September. However, 3 weeks short of my due date, I started to have some bloody show. Worried as I was (after all, there are many a horror stories) I made an appointment to see my gynae.

Since it was not a scheduled appointment (it was a Sat), I was the last one to see him. And he was already late in closing up due to an emergency C-sec that he had to do, which put him 2 hours behind clinic appointments. So, half irritated and definitely tired, the gynae ‘sentenced’ that all this waiting around is just too disturbing! I guess a bloody show isn’t all that good too. So, he gave me until Tuesday (my actual appointment date) to come to the hospital due to pains or else walk in on Tuesday morning at 7am to be induced!

Tried doing some squats, walked up all the stairs I could find and even talked to my little one to come out. But…no action!

No sign of contractions (or so I thought) the entire 3 days.

Took my last shower on Monday night and went to bed. Slept very well.

Early Tuesday morning, woke up and had my high protein breakfast. Took a slow drive to the hospital and checked myself in at 7am. I had time to check out the labour ward. Looked at all the gadgets and even took some photos. Then the nurse came in requesting me to change into the hospital gown.

The labour ward where I was admitted to
The labour ward where I was admitted to

A while later, the nurse came in again and squeezed some liquid up my anus to clear my system. She told me to wait as long as I can before going to toiler. Was she kidding ? No sooner had she walked out of the door and I was already in the bathroom!

It was a good feeling though. Felt very ‘clean’. Better than any detoxification programme!

Nurse came in again and announced that it was time to be induced! Needles needles….sigh….. I looked the other way. Closed my eyes. Tried to relax.

The nurse attending to me while I was lying on the bed
The nurse attending to me while I was lying on the bed

It was painful! The needle was poked deep into the vein on top of my left hand. I could literally feel the end of the needle and actually see it! Sigh. I was wondering how in the world I was going to use my left hand now to grip the bed railing to push? And how was I going to rest properly now with my left hand immobile!

After which the nurse put some gadgets on me to monitor my contractions. When I had one, she said “Oh, that was a contraction. Could you feel it?”

I looked at her. “You mean that was it?”

Reckon I have been having that kind of pain for so long now then! Oh dear…what a blunder!

The pain was still bearable. I could still watch TV, talk to hubby and watch the second hand on the clock tick away! In fact, I was getting bored.

At 9 plus in the morning, my gynae walked in to burst my water bag. He put on a pair of boots, somewhat like Phua Chu Kang’s boots. I was not amused. I was too busy preparing myself for the inevitable! Hubby was asked to leave the room. I was all alone.

I could feel the doctor push onto something inside me. The pressure was very strong and I was actually trying to push myself away from the doctor. Then I felt a huge gush of water. The nurses were surprised. I was surprised they were surprised. One of them had to get the cleaner to come in and mop up the floor. The doctor was still pushing away even then so more and more water started coming out. Some people have told me that the water would stink. But I couldn’t smell anything!

Then the pain started.

2 hours later, the nurse suggested that I take a jab.

She said “Better take now. Don’t tire yourself out. Jab can help you to sleep”.

Effect of jab? Negligible.

I lost all concept of time after that. In between bouts of pain, I dozed off. Hubby later told me I slept and moaned every 5 minutes. In between all that the nurse came to check on my dilation. I was far too tired and ‘dopey’ that I just let her do whatever she wanted. It still hurt terribly but I just wanted her to do it and get it over with.

Nurse proclaimed that I would most probably deliver by 4 pm. Opened my eyes and saw that it was only 12! I sighed and cried inside. How was I going to survive the many more hours?

After what felt like eternity, I felt the nurse put a mask on my face. This was the gas that I had heard so much about. Other mothers have told me that they didn’t like it at all and it didn’t help them. So, with this preconceived idea in my mind, I didn’t try very hard to breathe the gas. Instead I kept pushing it away as it was taking too much energy to breathe!

But thank God, the nurses didn’t give up on me. They brought a few masks for me to try. And finally I managed to suck in the gas. Oh, it was such a relieve! I don’t know about the rest but the gas really worked wonders for me! After that I kept asking hubby to give me the gas.

Hubby later told me they gave me a child’s mask (hint to other pregnant women)!
And also that I practically grabbed the gas mask from him to breathe!

Anyway at around 1, I was told that I had fully dilated (Thank God). I was told to start pushing when I had the urge.

For the life of me, I don’t know why I was still in the frame of mind to control my pushing in case I pooped! I actually felt a pressure on my rectum, the same pressure kind you get when you want to poop. So I tried to push and yet control my poop.

I pushed for an hour. The nurse started to give up on me. They said the baby was like a yo-yo. One minute you can see the head, and as soon as I stop pushing, in it went again!

I should have just ‘pooped’ the baby out! Coz the pressure that I thought was poop was actually caused by the baby!

At last they called the gynae as I was getting too tired. He was kind of exasperated with me I reckon and threatened that if I do not push properly, this baby will never come out!

I was super tired by now. But when I heard this, I felt so afraid that after all this effort, I would have to go for C-sec! So, with all the strength I could muster, I pushed and pushed again.

Heard the gynae ask for the vacumm. Got the urge and therefore pushed again. Then after a few more pushes, I heard hubby say that the baby was out. Rest now. No need to push anymore.

Then I heard the baby cry! Oh….the feeling at that moment. Utter and total relief!

I lied down to rest. At the back of my mind, I heard my phone ring. Heard hubby go out and even managed to faintly register that an old friend had called.

Also faintly heard my gynae telling me that my wound was rather bad. There was some minor tearing and my episotomy was rather deep!

I felt my leg shiver. It shivered a lot even when I was pushing. The nurse said it was because I was tense and cold. The gynae told me that I needed to relax now so that the shivering would stop and he can get on with his stitching properly.
Heard my gynae ask for another needle. In my mind, I was thinking “THAT much to stitch?”

Next thing I know, hubby was back beside me. And one of the nurses was asking me to open my eyes to see my baby. They positioned him in my arms and started to show us the labels they had put on his arm and legs. Hubby signed some papers and my little one was taken away to be sun-ed!

I slept.

After some time, the nurses came back to massage my abdomen. It was really painful. As bad as, if not worse than, labour pain.
I was really tired.

I heard them ask me to get in and out of the stroller and the bed a few times.
As I was being rolled around I heard them say “Ahh., the power of tiredness”.
Indeed. I had no idea where I was or what was going on. I just wanted to sleep.

As for the needle in my hand? It was still there. And I still managed to grip the railing and push, roll around when I was in pain and use my left hand to lift myself up to move on to the bed.

So, at the end of it all, all I can say is that needles are nothing compared to the labour.
Pooping in public is nothing compared to the agony of not getting your child out.
Looks is nothing when you are dead tired.
Labour is nothing compared to taking care of a child.
The wounds from labour is nothing compared to the joy your child will bring you.

Indeed, there is no greater joy than to see a miracle before your very eyes!

My little precious bundle of joy!
My little precious bundle of joy!

Thanks to Ann for sharing her story with us.

Please follow and like us:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *